Wednesday 31 July 2013

Tampines Musical and Cultural Arts Fiesta & Harmonious Celebrations @ Tampines

Last Sunday  28 July 2013, I took Arshi to the open space near Tampines MRT for Tampines Musical and Cultural Arts Fiesta.As I had already registered for the event , I received  a goody bag .There were some booths which sold traditional food items and we were given food vouchers as part of our tickets.Free tickets were given to all those who had registered before.We can use them in any stall .As most of the stalls sold Non-Veg items like Sathay,chicken rice(famous traditional food items among  Singaporeans), I choose to have Ice-cream bar and Ice Milo for myself and Arshi.

food stalls

queue for the redemption of goody bag


Arshi trying the mango flavor ice bar

a pose with Arshi

We were given picnic mat in the goody bag.So there was a picnic feel as we were enjoying the music and food.

happy families all in their smiles on a lazy Sunday evening.

The stage all ready for the entertainment
MP ringing the traditional Chinese bell to begin the event

Crowd already gathered around

SCO-Singapore Chinese Orchestra performing in the stage.They used Chinese instruments to play their pieces.They rendered music pieces from different ethnic groups and all of them were national day songs-songs that inspire a  nation.Though many  of the musical pieces were new to me , I enjoyed the music.I could see many people becoming emotional and they too sang along the music.Even Arshi was able to sing a  song and identify a  few songs.Music really binds all people  no matter what your race or language is.That's why I call Music as an universal language on its own.

I was touched when the Conductor of the day-Quek Ling Kiong(seen in the middle) ,informed that his grandma had passed away only a few hours ago.I was seeing how calm and composed he was conducting the show perfectly even when there was a personal grief in his family.My salutations for him.


with a friend

it's getting dark....but look at the audience....they are enjoying as  a family
.
a funny moment with her classmate whom we spotted at the Fiesta

a happy family-my friend's family

posing with Sanju


Tampines Primary School's Junior Choir performing at the fiesta. Arshi was proud when her school came on the stage and her classmate Kean was also part of it.She was cheering for him.....

it's getting darker, but the audience are still enjoying the performance

 a Kathak performance(a north Indian dance form)

A Malay performance.I found it too lovely.All the performers were fasting ,as it is the month of Ramadan.Yet they performed with full zeal and enthusiasm.

A Peranakan fusion performance where I learnt about a little bit about lemon grass,Pandan leaves and other stuff which I usually see in the supermarket - but which I had never bought.After that performance, I feel I may buy those stuff and try in my cooking too.....

I was there in the fiesta throughout and both myself and Arshi had  a great time  there.Saw many people turned up for the event along with their family and friends.Looking forward for another community event in the near future.As National Day is nearing, I see lot of posters on community celebrations and I should plan to join in these events as  they provide an opportunity for us residents to get to know more about the place and people around you.I spotted  a few friends. What I thought to be  a normal cultural performance turned out to be  a picnic on its own way, get-together with my friends and getting to know different cultures and their art form in a  single place at the same evening that too in my very own neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment