Sunday 25 August 2013

Singapore Night Festival 2013

Hurray !!!! I finally went to Singapore Night Festival 2103 this Friday all by myself and Arshi.We started a  little bit early to make sure we cover the maximum.I am really happy to see that I had almost covered all the places I had planned for the day.If you happen to be in Singapore, this is   a  festival which cannot be ignored.Last year was my first night fest and this year they have renamed the fest as Singapore Night Festival.Though I covered only few places like National Museum of Singapore(NMS) and Singapore Art Museum(SAM), I feel they themselves kept us occupied.We didn't go inside SAM.Unlike last year,SAM's Art Garden wasn't open.Kids would have loved being there.Should have been disappointment for some kids.But apart from the night lights, there was an array of programs in NMS facade.It kept us entertained for almost 2 hours.All galleries in museums were open to public for free.So that means Free entry.Singapore Night Festival 2013 is a  free entry event.FREE  EVENT.FREE ADMISSSION TO ALL.The free entry  to museums is from 7 pm to 2 midnight.Even if you are a foreigner.So no excuses from coming to Singapore Night Festival if you stay here or have hopped on to Singapore for a few days. We went  to festive grounds by the time it wasn't dark.I took  a few snaps to compare them with the night effects, headed to NMS and then .....

The venues we covered for the Singapore Night Fesival-day 1,Friday 23 Aug:

1)National Museum of Singapore
2)Singapore Art Museum
3)SMU Green
4)The Cathay night lights installation
5)SOTA night lights.
6)A bamboo installation  near 51,Waterloo street.

1)National Museum of Singapore:

I always loved the architecture of NMS, especially the dome.

This year's night lights in NMS was very attractive.

day/night view of NMS


Last year I had spent more time in SAM and this year, it's a NMS thing.

NMS had many activities both inside and outside the museum.We were greeted by Everlast- an installation made with foil balloons. Try reading the poem yourself if you can from this photograph.


There was an interactive art installation too, for which I didn't know the name.I saw many kids playing around it and seeing their action turn into an animated sequence.Arshi tried too.


There was live music too inside NMS.



As all the galleries were open to public and we had chance to see them for free, I took Arshi to "Princely Treasures from the house of Liechtenstein".It's a  special exhibit which housed more than 90 masterpieces from the prince of Liechtenstein.Though I am not an  Artistic person, I should say, I did enjoy seeing the many oil paintings and some of the art crafts that were on display.








There was a  bamboo installation in NMS too.It's called The Algebra Of Need which was made from bamboo and rope light installations.



I think this looked similar to many light ups in India for temple festivities which are still in use there.There we used to have similar thing but for the images of God and Goddesses.

Later I took Arshi to Circus Swingapore.It's our favourite too. Circus Swingapore was at NMS Glass Atrium. Arshi had missed last year's edition.So we were sure to reach NMS early and got seats in the front row to see the stunts by kids and adults.I tried to capture some good pictures in my digi cam, but as there was too much movement , most of my photos had glare or jerk in them.But still I managed to get some decent pics.






After Swingapore was over, I rushed Arshi to her music class near by and made some 20 minutes touring the night fest all on my own and making sure, where I should take this little girl for the night.

So after Arshi was back from her music class, I rushed her to NMS Facade and there were an array of  performances for all.The night lights were very beautiful and Arshi was amused by them even as we were crossing the road.Though I had seen teh night light:Palomas I didn't take some good pictures of the Palomas as the whole area was too crowded and my digi cam can't take pictures with high resolution.Maybe next week, when I go there, I can take  a few pics by the time they light up the tree.

Vertical Extraction:-An aerial dance performance using ropes was simply amazing.The back ground was changing to music and the dancers were .....simply superb.They were just swinging in the air and dancing to the music.You see the pictures yourself.





Even Arshi enjoyed them.Even though the place was too crowded, as the performance was in the higher floor, I think most of us were able  to enjoy the whole performance without any difficulty.There was shadow act too where they played with shadows.I loved that segment too.Though I didn't understand the meaning or significance of teh show, I enjoyed them as a layman.

It was followed by Pyramid of Void.This act was supported by a crane which can be seen here.

If you look at the background, you can see the night light installation Palamas


I personally feel that looked very similar to the previous act "Vertical Extraction except that here 3 dancers were dancing around a pyramid and I felt it was too draggy.Maybe they could have had either of the 2 performances for the night fest.Maybe if the later performance would have been the only such type of Ariel performance without the Vertical extraction, it would have appealed more to the crowd.Most of the audience were looking forward for the next show which was popular of all-Redux. Many had shifted close to the stage put up in the middle.The stage again was a  high raise stage and most of the audience were able  to see the performance without any difficulty.I was lucky enough to be in front of the stage.The performance was too beautiful.








2)Singapore Art Museum:
SAM's night lights was as beautiful as last year's.I loved the night lights as they changed according to music change.The theme for this year's was "The Magic Melody".Took  a  few snaps as usual.



day/night effect


I remember, we had spent more time in this very museum last year as they an array of  activities for kids in their Art Garden.Arshi was a   guide then guiding her father throughout the museum and we even went through the main building too apart from spending some time  in SAM @ 8Q.

3)SMU Green:
Many local music bands had their performance in their very own show "HOMEMADE".I Just listened for a  while  while moving to other places.The place was mostly  filled  with many youngsters and it was full of  energy.


There were few night light installations there too.



4)The Cathay :
There was a   giant LED screen and the messages were typed and displayed on that giant screen.I just peeked through it without spending too much time on that.The dark night made the big LED screen look very cool.



5)SOTA:
Paperpalnes-many colourful  flights taking off  from a   big box.


I loved the light installation very much.But I still prefer last year's Children's dream very much.They interested the kids more.

6)Bamboo installation:
After I spotted a   bamboo installation in NMS there was one outside 51, Waterloo street too.I caught both the day and night view of the installation.I tried to understand the meaning, but couldn't decipher any message.But they did look nice and appealing.



As you come across the Singapore Night Festival, you also chance to see many street performances and there were many roving stilt walkers too.




Well that was the end of  day 1 Singapore Night Festival for myself and Arshi and we are looking forward for next week's fest too if  manage to squeeze in  some more time and catch the rest of the festival.This time around, Arshi is asking her dad to come and hopefully he will join us this weekend .

You can read about my experience in last year's night festival from this link here.
 and more information about the festival in this webpage:http://www.brasbasahbugis.sg/SNFPortal/

After going to Singapore Night Festival for 2 years in a   row, I would like to invite all parents to join in the fun too with your kids.Never mind if they are just too young.They will surely enjoy as there is something for everyone.Do a  little bit of  research, plan ahead and have a fabulous time there.I ha dcovered only a  few snippets of teh fest and there  are much more to explore than these.The festival starts right from raffles City, streches to Plaza SIngapura,Chijmes,Armenian Street,NMS,SAM  and much more.

If you love night
If you love light
If you love flight
If you love fun
If you love crowd
You'd love Singapore Night Festival!!!!!

It's time to see the night light in the dark.If you had missed this weekend, there is still a   weekend of celebrations to catch up.

Update:
I visited Singapore Night Festival 2013 for the second week too  and you can read them here.http://akilaganesan.blogspot.sg/2013/09/singapore-night-festival-2013-week-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment