Monday 25 March 2013

Remembering old playgrounds of Singapore

Old is gold,and so are the playgrounds built more than 30 years.I came across these old playgrounds from some magazines and posts in facebook. I was very fascinated and liked to visit at-least a few with Arshi.So far have visited a few and would like to share them with you.All these playgrounds were visited by myself and Arshi over these 6 months.Planning to visit the rest in the days to come.My experiences of these playgrounds:

Dragon Playground(Blk 28,Toa Payoh Lorang 6):

Dragon playground is an old playground in Toa Payoh.When we had   an opportunity to visit Toa Payoh(almost 6 months back), I had almost forgot about this playground.But, I had seen this many times I have been to Mediacorp through bus.So I started to hunt for the playground from a few locals.But to my surprise, people have almost forgot what is in their locality.I was surprised that , I couldn't locate this playground.But, I didn't give up and somehow managed to find the playground and after dozens of enquiry and walking around Toa Payoh, I managed to get glimpse of this playground.It is   a  sand  filled playground which is  very rare in Singapore nowadays.Usually modern playgrounds are finished with rubber mats.I found the playground quite interesting as it had  a spiral walkway,concrete slide.Kids are sure to enjoy .Arshi had  a blast that day.


posing in the spiral


You can see small plastic rides as well







Toa payoh mini dragon playground:

I spotted this playground on my way in  a bus and quickly on my return journey hopped down to take a look at this playground.Another playground from the yesterdays.It was raining, but it didn't stop us from exploring.Maybe another day when it isn't raining, I should bring Arshi back to this playground to play.



if you can notice, the floor is covered with rubber mats

a small plastic ride for the toddlers

Modern playground next to an olden playground. Isn't
 it so different?


Even could spot a  fitness corner.



Clock playground:

Spotted in Boon Lay, Arshi had played in this playground a few times earlier,but, I had not taken pictures during my previous visits as I dint knew of its significance then.So, once when we were there some 4 months back, I took it an opportunity to be there.But to my dismay, it was being demolished.I took photograph of them and here they are for you.










Watermelon playground(Tampines Central Park):

I never knew,Tampines had an old playground until a  few months back.Since then I have  been wanting to take Arshi with me to that playground.This March holidays, we finally manged to go to that Tampines watermelon playground.It is a  playground having swing,concrete slide.I loved the design.










a peep from the glass structure




dual function for this rod.....swing,exercise kit.....hahha....


Very near to this , there are two  mangosteens connected by iron bars.They looked lovely in the same park.




What really mattered me was the interior which had some  scribbling by strangers.We should try to preserve our heritage and not damage them.






My search for the old playgrounds won't stop here.I will surely continue with my journey and take Arshi along to these playgrounds.Will blog about olden playgrounds if I chance to be some where near them and blog about my experience.

A tip:

So if you happen to be in a  neighborhood or planning to visit  a place, do know some of the interesting places and try to cover them during your visits. Who knows you maybe exploring some great places and they may be in your cherished memories forever.






No comments:

Post a Comment