Thursday 4 April 2013

iremember goes to Tampines - launch event

iremember goes to Tampines is  a  Singapore Memory project to collect the memories of the residents here in Tampines.It was held on 31 march 2013,near Tampines MRT.Childhood games from the yester years were showcased and there some some games to  try out for the visitors too.After a hectic trip to temple for the annual Chandi Homam,then visit to our library, we headed towards the exhibition.There I too contributed my memories.My memories of Singapore are just 6 years but, as the saying goes on, yesterday's happenings are today's memories.I had taken my camera with me(as usual) and had pictures of some previous year's pic on them.I choose Arshi's sports meet pic as my contribution .


my contribution-Arshi's school sports day meet pic in Tampines Stadium

It was special in many ways.It was my daughter's first sports meet, where she joined with her fellow students to compete and also it was held in Tampines Stadium.The place is  important as it is this place where the new Tampines Town Hub is   going to be constructed. So our memories of the place really counts.I also recorded my memories of Tampines  in a  special booth set up  for that.There were 3 booths  and  as  we finished 3 booths we were given a  goody bag.The goody bag is a  sure reminder of the yester years for many as  they had  a wooden hand fan,rainbow spring ring,and Chinese Chess board.They had also given some traditional snacks in the goody bag.My hubby played a  traditional game and he won a  prize pack.they had some tidbits and snake and ladder game.



A staff from Tampines town hub approached us and asked me that she has seen me participating in many public events.I was very happy as I was being noticed.She further asked me if  I could be in the launch event with the minister that evening in the same place.I was overjoyed as I would be sharing the stage with MPs. We headed home. Arshi took a   short nap , and then, I took Arshi  to the exhibition again.Our photo, which I had given as soft copy was developed into a hard copy and we were eagerly looking forward for the launch event. Arshi tried a   game on her own too.She too won her prize pack.






We took photos in the booth and  were given a  sticker, which I used to spin the wheel.Arshi won a   traditional five stone pack.She was very thrilled.As I was looking at various stage games, I could really relate to my childhood games.Though ,my childhood days were spent in India, I too had played similar games but with different names.I too had played 5 stones in my childhood days, but with stones.Here , in  Singapore we use small cloth bags.It was   a learning journey  for myself  and   my  little Arshi.Soon the anticipated moment happened.We saw the MPs -Mr.Heng Swee Keat,Minister of Education,  Mr.Masagos Zulkifli,Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Home affairs and Ministry of Foreign Affairs,Mr.Mah Bow Tan,Ms.Irene Ng coming.They were  all ready  to officially launch the event.3 residents  from Tampines were chosen to represent our fellow residents and my name was called.I joined Arshi.We were personally greeted by MPs.We showed off our photo.





Exchanging  few words with the Education Minister.


Looking at the contributions made by us.




Later we dropped them in a box.Our entries were also shown in the screen there.I also wrote down my memory in a  card along with the ministers.A friend of mine  told me that we were shown in TV too.I missed out seeing it.A truly happy and special moment for me  and  Arshi.It was a  fun filled day.The little princess was rewarded with a chilled treat from McDonalds.

too busy  with her ice cream
She got her favorite choco cone ice-cream-Yummy....... for her good behavior through out the day without too much rest and fuss.Another day to remember for us- and this one for our lovely experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment